Sunday, July 15, 2012

Growing in His Light - priorities, fulfillment and a quote

My efforts to blog this year have been minimal. In fact, from January to June has been one big stress for me. Most of the stress was from March - June, but anticipation can be just as alarming for the body and mind, right?

Here's the chain I put on my blog a few months ago with each stress event as a link.


Thankfully, here's the chain in June. I opened up each link as the event happened.


At many of the events, I was a speaker which was a great honor. As I gathered the lanyards in the picture below, I realized that there was one that I was most proud of.


The Young Women's Camp Assistant Director (gofer, photographer, trainer of Youth Camp Counselors) was the one! After months of preparation typically taking 10-15 hours out of each week, I ended up having a wonderful week at the camp.

The theme was "Grow In His Light" and I think that many of us leading gained just as much or more of a testimony than the Young Women at the camp. Plus, being away from the day-to-day work allowed me to get closer to the Spirit and ultimately helped me with some upcoming decisions that my family needs to make. Ok, so our family is only two of us, but we are still a family. (-:

Here's a lantern that we had the Youth Camp Counselors carry for the night time activities.


Here's the website I created to house all of the info for camp. I really do like it and it was a way to leverage some things I've learned over time toward a meaningful resource at church.



All the camp photos (mine plus others) are now at http://photobucket.com/YWCamp2012. I took about 1,000 and others took about that many too, but as I look through the individual shots (toward the end of the pile), I am amazed at how wonderful all the teens look even though they sometimes dreaded having their photo taken. They are all truly beautiful young women!

Here's me posing with the training manual I created with the help of materials gathered by others. It truly was a team effort and I'm so grateful for all of the friendships that I was able to form with the other leadership in our congregation and the surrounding congregations.



My biggest worry was all of the stresses from work, but by day 3 of camp those had left me. We were there a while (Monday - Saturday) and normally that would mean I'd have a few thousand emails and multiple project updates to worry about. But, with the storm and with people deciding to go out of town at the last minute, catching up wasn't so bad.

It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

“When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities.”
Ezra Taft Benson


Again, I had a chance to realize that this principle was true. Now, to keep living it!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...