Saturday, November 3, 2012

Gifts of the Heart, not the reject pile

So, the picture in this post is the full extent of damage we received from Hurricane Sandy. Luckily, it has a perk. I can see more sunlight out of the back of my house.

Yes, power went out where I work - for three days! But, at home we were our typical safe selves and actually worked a lot of extra hours. I've owned this place for eight years and I don't ever remember the power going out for more than a couple of minutes. Underground power lines, though we are probably due for something to happen.

As a result of "being safe," I've felt a huge sense of urgency to somehow participate in relief efforts while still trying to keep up with the implications of a re-org and more tasks at work. I should have been in Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon this past week to give a presentation and to just have a little break, but the airports weren't open and I figured it wasn't worth my time to re-schedule more than once. So, here we are and wanting to make ourselves useful.

Yesterday we got an email from our local church leader asking for us to donate money and coats to go directly to the New York City South Mission. Our former church leader (stake president) is now the mission president for that area of New York (and Jamaica as well!) and so we do have a special connection. Our stake offered to provide $25 gift certificates and coats/other warm clothing for the victims. There are quite a few in the church and out of the church that have been affected. My own sister lives up that way, but they luckily just lost electricity for six days. Six kids, no school, for six days! Yikes!

This morning I woke up and figured I'd go through the closet. I've been through this closet many times. In fact, I used to have two full closets of clothing before I downsized. My clothes are nice, though I often wear the most comfortable (so why do I buy all the others?). I started getting rid of some items that were still nice, but I hadn't worn for a while. But, then I remembered that this shouldn't be my strategy going forward. In fact, I had promised my self last year to give better.

We have an annual "gifts of the heart" day where we take used items to donate and share with others. Is this truly a "gift of the heart" or a "gift from the reject pile?"

If you are in need of clothing, you are already feeling bad. How humiliating to have to put on the rejected clothing of someone else? Yes, I know in these types of moments we are all grateful for whatever we can get. But, how different would it be if someone gave you something brand new or almost new? Wouldn't it boost your spirits that much more? Wouldn't it say something just a little more about the giver?

And so my strategy now is different.

Pull out the pants that still have the tags, share the sweater that kept you really warm, maybe even donate that AWESOME stifling hot BYU Rugby sweatshirt you are so proud of? Throw in a coat or two that are extra and some of those scarves that are still new and never worn.

That feels a little better.

Shockingly, the closet is still full after multiple rounds and multiple bags of donations.

Am I willing to give more? Perhaps now it is time to donate the gift certificates. After all, there still need to be some clothes to wear to work, right?

These are good experiences for the heart.
   It has to decide what it is willing to give.
   It has to decide if it will "walk a mile in someones moccasins" and realize that there is a person that had much and now has nothing.
   It has to think through how that person feels and what they need.
   It has to think about what it (my heart) would want if it was in the same situation.


These are the moments that define us after all. Those moments where we must give of our time, talent, money, energy and hearts and expect absolutely nothing in return.

Yet, we always do get something in return from these moments in time. The heart grows, priorities change, relationships are shaped, and at the end of the day we realize that we caught a glimpse of what it feels like to participate in God's work.

Yes, God's work. Something that you'd think we'd want every.single.day.

Perhaps the hurricanes are that little nudge reminder to return to God's work. Yep, it's just that important.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...