Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Who I Am - after funeral thoughts

Though I don't listen to country music everyday, or even every month, I do have a few favorites. Not because they are amazing in and of themselves, but because they are associated with a meaningful event, relationship, or insight that I had while the song might have been popular.

Over 10 years ago I remember a song sung by Jessica Andrews caught my attention. It is called "Who I Am."

Here are the lyrics:

If I live to be a hundred
And never see the seven wonders
That'll be alright
If I don't make it to the big leagues
If I never win a Grammy
I'm gonna be just fine
Cause I know exactly who I am

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am

So when I make a big mistake
And when I fall flat on my face
I know I'll be alright
Should my tender heart be broken
I will cry those teardrops knowing
I will be just fine
Cause nothing changes who I am

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am

I'm a saint and I'm a sinner
I'm a loser; I'm a winner
I am steady and unstable
I'm young, but I am able

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am

The lyrics still hit home with me as I reflect upon my grandmother's life, my life, my parents lives, and ....on the future.

We are made up of our heritage and our own life experiences. Some of those experiences are amazing. Some are not.

The beauty of it all is that we have the ability to change the future - to incorporate those wonderful traits and attributes of those that have gone before and to change those areas that are harmful, useless, or detrimental to our lives and the lives of our families.

What a wonderful gift - to be able to improve and continually change!

Surrounded by so many relatives I was reminded of my wonderful heritage as well as the weaknesses of the collective group. I was able to reflect, to contemplate, to be inspired, and to grow closer to people and memories.

It has changed me for the better. Yes, sometimes I'm a loser, unstable, and clumsy. But, as the song says "It's all a part of me and that's who I am." But, there is current and future greatness wrapped into that as well.

Grateful for this time away from home to re-look at life and prepare for the next steps.

Celebrating the life of Grandma Elizabeth


Funerals do that to us, don't they?

Yes, they do. 

It is sad that grandma is gone, but it is time to celebrate her life by incorporating the goodness that she gave us.

I'm not Rosemary's granddaughter. I'm Elizabeth's granddaughter. I'm Marjorie's granddaughter. I do look like my father and my mother is my biggest fan.

That's who I am.

Yea! 





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...