Friday, October 5, 2012

Temple Trips

It's always so hard to get to the temple, but always is a great experience and everything seems so easy after I get home. So, why is it so hard to get there?

I was planning on going is morning, but I left work around 4 pm yesterday and was wearing a skirt and decided to keep driving the beltway into Maryland. There was a lot of traffic. If there wasn't, I could have gotten there in 50 minutes. But, it took about two hours.

There seemed to be more workers there than patrons - it was nice for me that way and they were grateful.

I realized last night that I've attended the temple for 20 years, excluding the youth experience. 20 years ago I was in my first area of my mission and on my way to my second in October of 1992. Time flies. We were able to attend every few months. After my mission I trained missionaries across from the Provo temple and so I got to go weekly. In DC I was a worker and even worked the red eye shift when they had it. Good times.

Now I am taking to heart the purpose, though I have always been a regular attender I don't know that I've fully appreciated it. Perhaps I never will, but I keep going, keep learning and keep growing. I'm a family history consultant and that has given me more purpose as well. Lately, though, I will admit to another - entering names of friends on the prayer roll.

Names on the prayer roll are there for two weeks and so everyone who participates will be essentially saying prayers for all those whose names are submitted to the temple. I now make sure I include friends names on that list every few weeks and...I tell them.

I believe, more so lately than ever before, that just knowing that someone is praying for you increases faith and does make a difference. It is the realization that we are all interconnected. That we all must help each other move forward in this life. That we all want to be in the "winners circle" so to speak. After all, why get there and be there alone? Though I would point out that you would probably be in a different circle, rather than the winning one, if you were standing alone.

Random thoughts? Perhaps.

But, I'm grateful for this extra enlightenment I'm receiving for Me to help You. Having had my own struggles, my empathy is increasing for others and in that process I realize that I need to do a lot more for my fellow family and friends. After all, once that type of inspiration and understanding comes...it must be acted upon or the gift begins to fade.

Isn't it beautiful to walk out at night and see this from your car door?

Sent from my iPad


>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...