Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Technology - Knoll

I know. I know. Google is huge. Google is taking over.Google is this, that and the other. But, I think they have a reason to strut around fairly proud. They have some great products. I love the blog tool, even if wordpress has some features that it doesn't have. I love Picasa, even if Flickr has some other features. However, Picasa has the features that I need and it integrates well with all the other tools offered by Google.

So, this is the latest that I've heard about that I'm suggesting we utilize in our "learning toolkit" at work - Knoll.

Knoll has the tag line of "a unit of knowledge." Instead of a blog, it's intended for very focused topics of knowledge. This is yet another example of web 2.0 combining the best of multiple ideas into one area. So far, to me, it seems to be a slight combination of the wiki, the community of practice, and the blog idea all rolled up into one. Think Wikipedia, Ning, PBWiki, Blogger, e-learning product, and CNET product rating system all wrapped into one neat little package.

I haven't started one yet, but I will. I've got Ning, the wiki and the blog covered and so it only makes sense to take this next step.

Come to think of it...this should be posted on my work blog and not my random rebecker blog, but it was just too exciting not to share here.

If implemented properly, this could do wonders for the learning community. I'm thinking of it for delivery of compentency based instruction. It may not work as a competency management system, but it could deliver the content.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/knol-is-open-to-everyone.html

Example of utilizing Knoll - http://knol.google.com/k#

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...