Sunday, November 18, 2012

Friendship - the Power of Choice

Friendship is a strange thing to me. What attracts me to different people and not others? Many people that are close friends aren't really like me. Others are completely like me. I'm drawn to same, opposite and everything in between. Yet, at the same time, repelled by the same.

I've had interactions lately with people I've gone through "stuff" with - church stuff, work stuff, volunteer stuff, etc. With some of them, I've even cried and shared deep feelings. Yet, it is a very compartmentalized type of friendship - only in the context of church, work or neighbor.

Others extend beyond those boundaries. Maybe being a roommate at some point in life helps. You truly know each others dirty laundry. (-:

Conducting a brief analysis in my brain today, I've temporarily decided that perhaps the difference is in our choosing of the friend, no?

I really like a lot of people that I work with at church and at work. I even like my neighbors. But, we've been put in situations where we must work and collaborate together. We learn to do so and often form great friendships. 

But, often don't go to that next level. I don't try to find ways to meet up with them randomly. I don't text them when there is a piece of good news. 

Hmmm.

Perhaps it comes down to matters of the heart - what levels of heart we get to share when we are with them and how they respond to those intimate soul bearing moments, or maybe what level of judgement we see them place on their own lives and others.

Either way, I'm grateful for friends. Those I've chosen and those that are "organized" into my path of existence.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...